G&M readers, your voices have been heard: you told me which designers you wanted to learn more about & I listened!!! So for this round of Know Your Fashion Designers, G&M reader fave Rohit Bal is getting the spotlight.
While I started off with the basics, such as Manish Malhotra, Wendell Rodricks & Abu & Sandeep, it was you the readers who suggested Tarun Tahiliani, JJ Valaya, Rina Dhaka & most recently, Manish Arora. Check those articles out if you haven't yet & brush up on your designer knowledge!!!
This week, I'm back to featuring another designer known for his luxurious, jet-setting fashions, creating clothes that combine minimalism & 'wearability'. Like Rina Dhaka, Rohit Bal thinks of what the average, fashion-conscious Indian woman wants to wear, in order to bring out a hidden sexiness that's casual & classy.
Read on to learn more about him!!
8 Facts About Rohit Bal:
1. Titled as 'India's Master of Fabric & Fantasy' by the Time magazine in 1996, Rohit Bal's sense of aesthetics is finely honed & each of his creations is handcrafted to perfection, with meticulous attention to detail.
2. He has access to the best the industry has to offer in terms of materials & workmanship.
3. From villages where local craftsmen weave dreams with magic fingers, to factories, workshops & outlets where retailers jostle for survival, to the opulent grandeur of glitzy boutiques & malls at the best addresses in the big cities of high fashion, Rohit Bal can lead one to the doors of discovery & he holds the key.
4. Rohit Bal graduated from New Delhi's St. Stephen's College with a 1st class degree in History.
5. He worked for a few years with his brother's export company & in 1990 he created his 1st line, traditional designer wear for men & the rest history.
6. Some of his clients include celebrities like Uma Thurman, Cindy Crawford, Pamela Anderson, Naomi Campbell & Anna Kournikova.
7. Most of Rohit Bal's fashion shows in India, New York, Paris & Singapore're sponsored by The Swatch Group & he is the brand ambassador for their Omega Watches, since 2001.
8. Style is the mantra for Rohit Bal, who hails from the enduring valley of Kashmir.
Outfit Inspired by Rohit Bal:
This outfit was heavily inspired by Rohit Bal's general ♥ of accessories. Pair the look with iconic nautical pieces like aviators & a 2-tone tote & you've the classy style that Bal stands for.
Extra for Experts:
Learn more about his work as a designer & his pieces from these reads: just try not to get distracted with these links as your exams're approaching!!
Do you know any fun facts about Rohit Bal that weren't listed?? Do you think his style reflects the classic, luxurious Indian?? If not, which designer do you think best fits the essential Indian look? Tell me what you think. And as always, let me know who you'd like to see featured next. I want to feature the designers you ♥ most, so I need your suggestions!